On May 1st 1870 our very first priest Fr Lapierre celebrated mass in a chapel. Twenty years later the stone church was built.

The parish was legally created in 1875. It is what canon law (church law) calls a territorial church, not linked to any particular language but to the territory of Point Saint Charles. In fact for 8 years the church served both the English and the French catholics of the Point. Then in 1883 the French parish, Saint Charles was founded and it's church erected in the lot next to Saint Gabriel's!

For many years the English speaking community grew and spawned initiatives which had effects beyond the boundaries of the parish.One of these initiatives brought the Presentation Brothers to Montreal.

Then in 1956 the church was destroyed by fire, except for the stone walls. But as always, the people of the Point rose to the occasion and the church was rebuilt, though with a different style. And the steeple was never rebuilt.

Over the years the number of English-speaking Catholics in the Point decreased, but many former residents, and in fact many others from the greater Montreal area adopted St Gabriel's as their own.
The Irish in particular are very fond of the parish. For many years, two Sundays before St Patrick's day, a popular mass of anticipation has been celebrated in the church. And on the last Sunday of May, after Sunday mass, there is a walk from the church to the Stone at the foot of Victoria bridge. It is there that so many Irish, and many French Canadians who cared for them, died of typhus.

So today our christian community is different, enriched by people of other cultures, vibrant and open to all ( still with a special love for the Irish). The church building has been fixed (roof, walls etc ) and a lift for the physically handicaped has been added. Other repairs are currently being done. We look to the future with optimism and enthusiasm. Please come and visit.

previous arrow
next arrow
ArrowArrow
Slider

 

What Does This Parish Mean to You?

The priests who served as pastors at St Gabriel's:

Fr John

Fr John J. Salmon

1875 - 1886

NO_PHOTO

Fr Thomas McCarthy

1886 - 1890

Cannon William

Canon William O'Meara

1890 - 1919

Cannon James

Canon James S. McCrory

1919 - 1927

Fr Thomas W

Fr Thomas W. O'Reilly

1919 - 1935

Fr Thomas

Fr Thomas A. Bracken

1935 - 1957

Fr George

Fr George F. Thoms

1958 - 1963

Fr John P

Fr John P. Ryan

1963 - 1973

B. Neil

Fr Neil Willard (later Bishop)

1973 - 1980

Fr Murray McCrory 300x400

Fr Murray McCrory

1980 - 2000
emeritus 2000 -

NO_PHOTO

Fr John Lyng

2000 - 2001

Fr James McDonald

Fr James McDonald

2001 - 2017

emeritus 2017

Fr Gilles Surprenant

Fr Gilles Surprenant

Parochial administrator

2017 - 2018

Other priests who served:

Fr Brissette
Fr Brown Forget
Fr Burke
Fr Carley
Fr Casey Heffernan
Fr Cordier
Fr Devlin
Fr Ducharme
Fr Fahey
Fr Fitzpatrick
Fr Frank Walsh
Fr Gadoury

Fr Gorman
Fr Hall
Fr Hoyden
Fr Jimmy Flood
Fr Jones
Fr Leduc
Fr Martineau
Fr McDonald
Fr McGinnis
Fr Michael McKenna
Fr Mooney

Fr Nugent Desnoyers
Fr O'Hagan
Fr Pelletier
Fr Riley Fr Brosseau
Fr Robillard
Fr Shea
Fr Singleton
Fr Sutton
Fr Thibault
Fr Tom McEntee
Fr Vrydaegs

Deacons who served:

Sisters who served:

Alice 300x400

Sister Alice Demers

Served the parish for more than 55 years !!!